Table of contents
- Q: How do I find my new webmail after the changeover?
- Q: Will I experience an interruption in the mail service?
- Q: Is the changeover time freely selectable?
- Q: Do I have to be actively enrolled at UZH at the time of the changeover?
- Q: Will I get a new email address?
- Q: What data will be transferred?
- Q: When exactly will I be changed over?
- Q: When do people with multiple employment get their turn?
- Q: Can I still access my data in HCL Notes after the changeover?
- Q: How long does the data migration take?
- Q: What work restrictions will I experience after the changeover?
- Q: How can I access my (Notes) mail-ins after the changeover?
- Q: Is it possible to set up a forwarding in Outlook after a non-converted (Notes) mail-in?
- Q: Missed OPT-In deadline: Changeover with data migration still possible?
- Q: Where can I find help for creating Outlook rules?
- Q: I cannot log in.
- Q: How can I get in touch with the project team?
- Q: What do the ... @uzh.mail.onmicrosoft.com email addresse mean?
- Q: How do I secure emails as pdf files in the Notes client?
- Q: Where are my encrypted emails?
- Q: Can I send encrypted emails from Notes / iNotes to converted persons?
- Q: How are the rooms migrated and created?
- Q: Error when adding a new (Exchange) account for @uzh.ch addresses.
- Q: How long does it take for changes in UZH Management to be transferred to Exchange?
- Q: Do I still need to extend the validity period of a Mail-In database in Notes?
Q: How do I find my new webmail after the changeover?
A: The new webmail can be accessed via https://outlook.office.com on the morning after your changeover day. (Entering "office.com" in the URL line will open the portal page of your Microsoft 365 account).
Q: Will I experience an interruption in the mail service?
A: Basically there is no interruption. However, in order not to put additional strain on the very limited time of the first night of the data migration, mailbox access is to be waived during this time. That is, from 8 p.m. on the day of the changeover until the start of work the next morning.
Q: Is the changeover time freely selectable?
A: No. We want to keep the changeover time as short as possible. This requires that the data migration robots are absolutely optimally utilised, which in turn requires a mix of large, normal and small mailboxes that is as perfect as possible. The possibility of postponing or individually planning the changeover time was discarded in favour of the short turnaround time.
Q: Do I have to be actively enrolled at UZH at the time of the changeover?
A: The data migration can be carried out successfully without your intervention. When you return to UZH, the new mailbox will be waiting for you.
Q: Will I get a new email address?
A: No, your email address(es) remain unchanged.
Q: What data will be transferred?
Q: When exactly will I be changed over?
A: The effective changeover date will be communicated to you 14 days in advance by personal email. You can find a corresponding current plan on our sharepoint page "Changeover with data migration (DE)". The following table provides a basic overview:
|Students||Other employees||Employees (incl. students) & professors||Non-personal mailboxes|
|Implementation||Without public-law employment||Without public-law employment||With public-law employment||Departmental / thematic mailboxes, technical mailboxes|
|Date / period||01 Oct 2021||10 Jan 2022||15 Nov 2021 -31 May 2022||01 March 2022 -31 May 2022|
|Standard changeover method||Without data migration||Without data migration||With data migration||With data migration|
|Options||Opt-In: Change to method with data migration possible until 28.09.2021. Implementation after 01.04.2022||Opt-In: Change to method with data migration possible. Implementation after 01.04.2022|
Q: When do people with multiple employment get their turn?
A: In the case of multiple appointments, allocation to the respective conversion group is as follows: Professorships before "Mittelbau" before ATP.
Q: Can I still access my data in HCL Notes after the changeover?
A: Yes, this is possible until 4 weeks after the successful changeover. However, you can only view your data there (read-only).
Q: How long does the data migration take?
A: The changeover of all data should be completed within 5 days (even for a large mailbox). Huge mailboxes might take a few days longer.
Q: What work restrictions will I experience after the changeover?
A: Besides the fact that a new mail system (e.g. Outlook) always requires a personal adjustment, there is a limitation in finding appointments with people whose mail system has not yet been changed over. The project installs a co-existence environment that connects the two different mail systems and thus massively reduces this limitation. Appointment scheduling must be done directly in the calendar object ("Free/Busy" representation). Calendars from other systems can no longer be opened. Calendars of persons who have already been changed over can be opened normally.
Q: How can I access my (Notes) mail-ins after the changeover?
A: After locking your personal mailbox on the Domino server, any links you have created to mail-ins in your navigation directory are no longer available. (See FAQ 32 "Open other mailbox" and FAQ 19 "Access to other mailboxes" on our Notes / iNotes support pages).
- If the mail server and mail file of the mail-in are known, access is still possible via the Notes client, webmail and IMAP. (IMAP with restriction; no synchronisation of the calendar and the Sent / Drafts / Trash folders). Server and file names can be read in the Notes client in the application ...
-> UZH Directory under Configuration > Messaging > Mail-In Databases,
in webmail (before blocking) from the URL of the opened mail-in.
-> E.g. from https://SERVER.uzh.ch/mail/FILE NAME/iNotes/Mail/?OpenDocument
-> E.g. from https://idlmail08.uzh.ch/mail/_1_iberatu.nsf/iNotes/Mail/?OpenDocument
Recommendation: Bookmark the URL in time.
- After the blocking, the mail-in details can be found via our workaround online UZH Directory .
Q: Is it possible to set up a forwarding in Outlook after a non-converted (Notes) mail-in?
A: Yes. The forwarding rule must send to a special mail-in email address of the form email@example.com. For the mail-in 'ZI Mail Migration', for example, this would be to firstname.lastname@example.org. So the "Name" of the mailbox must be in the local part, furthermore the spaces must be replaced with "_" bottom stroke and the domain must be @notes.uzh.ch.
Q: Missed OPT-In deadline: Changeover with data migration still possible?
A: The OPT-IN is a very limited time offer. It is not possible to re-register. However, instructions for self-migration are available - in the FAQ section: "10. Copy mail and mail folders from HCL Notes to Microsoft 365 (Outlook) account".
Q: Where can I find help for creating Outlook rules?
Q: I cannot log in.
A: To work with the new mailbox, a second authentication (multifactor authentication, MFA) is required in addition to your existing login name (e-mail) and UZH password. This is the same procedure as on MS Teams. You can check the authentication by calling up this (portal) URL: https://portal.office.com. You can find help on this via the following links: Logging in to MS 365 UZH or mutltifactor authentication. In case of login problems, please contact the Service Desk.
Q: How can I get in touch with the project team?
Q: What do the ... @uzh.mail.onmicrosoft.com email addresse mean?
A: The @uzh.mail.onmicrosoft.com addresses are technical addresses that are used in the background of the systems. They are used for communication between Notes and Outlook only for the duration of the migrations. Each Notes user to be migrated receives such a @uzh.mail.onmicrosoft.com forwarding address, which is automatically created for each Microsoft account and which UZH cannot change.
- The address is visible in the Notes mailboxes in the sent mails (Sent folder) and in a special Thunderbird configuration. Two examples:
(This will not be the case for emails to migrated employees)
- For emails sent from migrated accounts from (Outlook), the @uzh.mail.onmicrosoft.com sender address will not be visible in the Sent folder, nor at the recipient (Inbox).
After the project is completed and the migration is complete (to Exchange, forwarding from Notes deactivated), this address is no longer displayed and won't be visible in the sent emails even after the data migration.
Q: How do I secure emails as pdf files in the Notes client?
A: Print the files. In Windows select the preinstalled default printer (driver) 'Microsoft Print to PDF', on Mac computers select the print setting 'Save as PDF'.
MAC Support: Save a document as a PDF on Mac
Windows Support: How to Add or Reinstall the Microsoft PDF Printer (engl.)
Alternatively, you can export individual e-mails to PDF files. To do this, please open the document to be printed and click on the menu command File > Export > choose from drop-down list 'Format / File type': PDF Document > Specify document name and location. (It is not enough to select only the file in the overview; the format selection 'PDF Document' will not appear).
- If possible, use the latest version 11 of the Notes client.
- Older versions and/or uninstalled fixpacks may cause problems in combination with newer operating systems.
For example, with Notes 9 on Mac 10.15.6, when printing and selecting the 'Save as PDF' option, the dialog box for specifying the file name and location did not appear.
Q: Where are my encrypted emails?
A: Encrypted emails won't be migrated. You can view them in the Notes client according to the Notes FAQ entry ...
5.) Volltext-Suche nach verschlüsselten E-Mails (DE) (section Search)
and, if necessary, save them as a pdf file (or print them out).
In iNotes (Webmail) according to the instructions in the iNotes FAQ entry
3.) Suche nach verschlüsselten E-Mails (DE) (section Search).
Q: Can I send encrypted emails from Notes / iNotes to converted persons?
A: From Notes no, from iNotes (Webmail) yes, but the content is not displayed to the recipient, i.e. the Notes encryption (e.g. in Outlook) won't be resolved. The following message appears ...
-> [Portions of this MIME document are encrypted with a Notes certificate and cannot be read.].
Please ask the sender to resend the email unencrypted if necessary.
Q: How are the rooms migrated and created?
A: Currently, the rooms of all (Notes-) institute resource databases are transferred to the Active Directory by the Central IT (group "Microsoft Services") via a script. The directory is still being completed. In the end, the rooms should appear in Outlook when creating the meeting invitation ...
- under the button Location and the address book All Rooms (search option Name only) or ... ...
- the Room Search button.
- Furthermore in the scheduling wizard under Add Rooms resp. Room Search
In "Outlook on the Web" under People (Contacts) > All Rooms.
If IT managers try to create a new reservable room within the Notes application UZH Management, they will receive a message inside the application that they should open a ticket. New rooms can now only be created by the central IT department.
Q: Error when adding a new (Exchange) account for @uzh.ch addresses.
A: If you have already accessed your UZH mailbox via Outlook (configured e.g. as a MAPI or IMAP account) and are now experiencing problems when reconfiguring your UZH account of the Exchange type (configuration abort or error message appears), it is best to create a new profile (DE) (see also FAQ 16 "Profiles" on our FAQ Outlook FAQ Outlook support page) and select it when starting the program.
Attention! Deleting the old account theoretically also leads to success, but this could possibly lead to a loss of data (e.g. if tasks or other functions were used in Outlook that were not stored on the Notes server). Ask the IT manager of your institute or us (Service Desk)
Q: How long does it take for changes in UZH Management to be transferred to Exchange?
A: Changes in UZH Management (Notes client) require a certain amount of time for the conversion to the Exchange environment:
- For newly created users, groups and members, please allow approximately 2 hours.
- Deleted group members will be checked only once a day.
- Changes to access rights, be it mail-ins or resources, are checked and processed three times a day.
Q: Do I still need to extend the validity period of a Mail-In database in Notes?
A: Yes! Even if the shared mailbox (mail-in) has already been transferred to the Exchange environment, please continue to maintain everything as before (recreate, delete, validate) in UZH Management (Notes client) until the new UZH Management (TOPdesk forms) has been introduced.