The following section explains which persons (UZH relatives and external persons) are entitled to a Microsoft 365 licence and how it is granted. The guide is intended to provide clarity regarding Microsoft 365 licensing.
|Employees||Students||External Persons *2||Guests|
|Employed at UZH, regardless of part-time status and type of employment||Registered at UZH, excluding Auditors and DAS/CAS students||External persons working on behalf and in the name of UZH (all other uses excluded)||All other persons|
|Microsoft 365 A1|
|Microsoft 365 A3 *1|
|Visio Plan 2|
|Project Plan 3|
|Customer lock box|
|Other Plans, AddOns|
|*1||Based on the current SWITCH master agreement (until February 2021) A1 licenses with AddOn Office 365 ProPlus are available. This combination has only slight restrictions compared to an A3 plan.|
|*2||To assign the license a UZH ID within the UZH Identity Management with allocated AD account and e-mail collaboration account is needed.|
Microsoft 365 licenses are procured centrally via the Central IT. Licenses are allocated within the Active Directory automatically () or by hand by the IT Coordinators (|). Other plans and Add-Ons need to be inquired beforehand by the IT Coordinators at email@example.com (). Costs for manually allocated licenses are charged to institutes. Further license allocation is not permitted ().
Who can obtain a Microsoft 365 license from UZH?
A Microsoft 365 license from the UZH will be granted to subsequent groups:
- Students (registered at the UZH)
- Employees (employed at UZH, regardless of workload and type of employment)
- External persons working on behalf and in the name of the UZH (all other uses excluded)
Who does not receive a Microsoft 365 license from the UZH? (as of April 2, 2020)
- DAS/CAS Students
Further possibilities for cooperation with external parties who are not eligible for a Microsoft 365 license from UZH
- External persons who already have a Microsoft 365 account can collaborate with the UZH if their organisation allows Federation (if Teams/Skype for Business is open to "outside")
- External persons can also be invited as guests. The invitation link can be used several times.
- If they have a Microsoft account, the login will be done through this account.
- If they do not have a Microsoft account, an access code will be sent to their e-mail address. (see video instructions available for UZH members only)
- Users who do not yet have a Microsoft 365 license can obtain a Microsoft 365 license via their private e-mail address at https://office.com and subsequently participate as a guest.
Process for issuing Microsoft 365 licenses for students and employees
The allocation of Microsoft 365 licenses for students and employees at UZH is an automated process based on the data entered in the SAP systems. (in analogy to the "onboarding e-mail" of the Central IT)
Process for issuing Visio and Project licenses
We offer Visio and Project exclusively to employees of UZH (who are managed as employees in SAP).
- ZDU: Order via eOrder Webshop
- Institute: Contact point are the respective IT Coordinators of the institutes
Process for granting Microsoft 365 licences to external parties
To assign a Microsoft 365 license, a UZH ID is required in Identity Management with AD account and email collaboration account. Licenses for external users must always be requested from the respective IT Coordinator. The IT Coordinators are responsible for the compliant license allocation as well as for the costs incurred. Here we distinguish between externals with a teaching assignment and other external employees. The latter only receive the online products for cooperation with the UZH.
- ZDU: Order via eOrder Webshop
- Institute: Contact point are the respective IT Coordinator of the institutes
Microsoft 365 licenses are procured centrally via the Central IT, the licenses are allocated in the Active Directory by the IT Coordinators. The costs for licenses to external parties are charged to the institutes. In case of licensing uncertainties, IT Coordinators can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.